Perfect the quality characteristics and production techniques behind exceptional corn and flour tortillas
According to the Tortilla Industry Association's latest report, tortillas are a $14 billion retail sales category in the United States alone. When you add in the amount of tortillas sold globally, this industry category becomes larger than pan bread!
AIB International's Tortillas Online course focuses on unique product characteristics, ingredients and processing variations used in the production of corn and flour tortillas. In this online baking specialist course, you'll learn about acceptable ranges of production settings and what it takes to make a tortilla with exceptional quality.
Work at your own pace, assess your understanding with pre- and post-tests, and gain the knowledge you need to further your baking career. Combine with any of the online courses in our Baking Specialist Collection to excel even further.
Offered on the LearningLab@AIB cloud platform!
Who will benefit from the Tortillas Online course?
Any baker seeking to enhance their understanding of tortilla ingredients and production will gain a wealth of practical information. Production supervisors, managers, as well as line supervisors, will find valuable benefits in the course content.
After this course, you’ll be able to:
- Explain unique product characteristics of flour tortillas
- Identify ingredients and formulation for flour and corn tortillas
- Describe different production techniques for processing flour and corn tortillas
- Identify acceptable benchmark ranges of production settings for tortillas (equipment settings, times, temperatures, relative humidity, pH/TTA)
- Identify common tortilla defects and probable causes
- Explain function of corn in corn tortilla formulations
- Explain how corn is processed: nixtamal, masa and masa flour
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive 0.3 continuing education units.
Enrollments are accepted anytime; students complete the work on their own schedule. Students scoring 80 percent or higher on the post-test will receive a document of completion. All students are allotted three years to complete the course.
Take a sneak peak at the course